Who would have thought that Brian Coleman would become the Bob Crow Shop Steward of Fat Cat Councillors
It suddenly struck the Bugle how ridiculous it was watching Coleman on TV making all the same nonsense excuses made by some overpaid public sector Union bosses to justify their bloated salaries. We've had:
- We work harder that you think we do - 90 hours / many days a week - (we reported how Andreas Tambourides is paid £5,000 a meeting to be Chairman of Licencing). The Bugle wonders how Brian Coleman finds time to sleep if he spends 90 hours a week on his Barnet duties, another 90 hours a week being a 'office based' GLA member and another 90 hours chairing the Fire Authority.
- Our job has changed in ways you can't imagine (well most Councillors now have no direct say in running the Councillors. (Twenty years ago all Councillors ran the Council and were paid peanuts.)
- Our 'bosses' are paid more (R4 interview citing Chief Officer salaries being 5x or 10x Councillors allowances) - yet Coleman was against workers wanting to narrow differentials at City Hall.
- We're now professionals, not amateurs, and so need 'professional pay'
- ACAS / Independent body recommended our bloated salary so taxpayers should fund it
What the Bugle wonders is how fiscal Conservatives and Thatcherites on the Conservative Group can bear listening to this socialist claptrap on the airwaves as a representation of their views?